It’s summertime and you know what that means! Trips to the Caribbean, road trips to Ocean City and maybe even a quick flight to Miami. But one thing we over look is toe health at the beach. Here are a couple of things to watch out for while looking your best on your next beach trip.
The Sand Can Hurt!
- With the combination of heat and extra humidity, hot sand can be super painful and even result in harsh burns
- How do I prevent getting burnt?
- Wear flip flops (or even water shoes) on the beach! By creating a barrier between your feet and the hot sand, you can limit your risk of getting burnt.
Sharp Objects Hidden in the Sand
- With the being so many forms of forgotten trash and potential glass on the beach, their are many opportunities for you accidently cut yourself on a broken beer bottle leftover from a long night before…and it’s more common than you’d think!
- How can I avoid this?
- Wear shoes/sandals with thick soles while walking through the sand. Once again, creating that barrier can be one of the easiest ways to protect yourself while walking through the sand.
- What if I do accidently get a cut on the beach?
- Try to keep the area clean and schedule an appointment with your podiatrist as soon as you can.
Have more questions about Beach safety and your feet? Call to schedule an appointment with one of our Podiatrists today! (301) 441-2655